[conspire] (forw) Re: [Felton LUG] Oh boy, this doesn't look good...

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Thu Jul 30 08:11:11 PDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 30, 2020 at 08:08:30AM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 10:13:31PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
> >
> > > I consider Sercure Boot a vulnerabilitly by design
> >
> > More on why you're mistaken, from Matthew Garrett:
> > https://mjg59.livejournal.com/138973.html
> > https://mjg59.livejournal.com/139232.html
> > https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html
> > https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/50577.html
> >

> Nothing anything anyone else writes is going to change my mind in this
> case.  For one thing I wrote an entire paper on this
> topic, so I have reseached it, and wrote on it and was published on the
> topic through the LIU scholastic publishing arm.
>
> Others might be interested, though.
>
> For another thing, I don't need long analysis of why I should hand
> control of my computer to someone other than me.

eh - I didn't mean for that to be an antagonistic as it came out.

I mean to say that I often find long alalysis to be a smoke screen to
confuse basic facts.  In fact, then entire uefi spec, which is nearly a
1,000 pages as I recall, is such an example.

The basic problem of extending the reach for the MBR became a cause to
get a corperate commitee together and create a huge speification that is
mostly an power grab.