[conspire] Federales in Portland?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Jul 23 09:46:29 PDT 2020

Quoting Ruben Safir (ruben at mrbrklyn.com):
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 03:22:48PM +0200, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:

> > Saying that putting down statues is "cancel
> > culture" is pretty naïve if not hypocritical.
>
> It is not hypocritical.  It is spot on.

Once again, crazy talk.  Nobody in Germany forgets about the NSDAP and
the Enabling Act, just because there aren't heroically posed bronze
statues of Joseph Goebbels and Reinhard Heydrich lining the Unten den
Linden, in Berlin.

Germany (and West Germany, before it) has in fact been an admirable
model of keeping historical memory alive and vivid[1], although nothing
like such admiring statues would be tolerated.  To my surprise, I find
upon checking that the distinctive German Criminal Code
('Strafgesetzbuch') section 86a, adopted early in the Cold War, that
makes Nazi symbols unlawful, has nothing against statues of 20th C. war
criminals.  They are merely Not Done, Because, Really, Now.

>   [blah, blah, blah]

> Colobus was the discover of the New World for the West.

I believe you misspelled 'Leif Erikson'.  ;->

[1] Austria, by contrast, was long impaired in this task by a national
memory deficit syndrome, colloquially referred to as 'Kurt Waldheim
Disease'.

rick at linuxmafia.com
McQ!  (4x80)