[conspire] Federales in Portland?

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Jul 23 06:22:48 PDT 2020

On 7/23/20 1:14 PM, Nick Moffitt wrote:
> On 22Jul2020 09:40pm (+0200), Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
>> In Germany they put down swastikas and put up memorials to the holocaust.
>> Would it have been wrong if it had not been chosen democratically, by the
>> majority of Germans?

> Are you suggesting that the history of the Nazis has vanished, somehow?  That no one is taught it simply because the monuments are gone?

I'm suggesting exactly the opposite. They took down the swastikas BUT
they put up memorials. On the other hand you can visit Auschwitz
concentration camp. Saying that putting down statues is "cancel culture"
is pretty naïve if not hypocritical.

Now, suppose you've an interest in preserving those statues (why?).
Is it your only issue? or rather you've two issues: saving the statues
and contribute to stop hundreds of years of discrimination?

That says something.

Now I'd expect you'd first care about contributing to stop hundreds of
years of discrimination otherwise that also say something.

I'd expect you first speak up in favour of discriminated people, but
generally people that speaks about statues forget this step.
Just coincidence.

Then you'd ask, OK, I did something in support of discriminated people.
Now it's time to take care of the statues.

Is it going to do any good? How many statues are you going to save
without enforcing discrimination?

Especially when your interest in "historical memory" doesn't sound that
genuine and you have really never felt the consequences of hundreds of
years of discrimination?

Let alone "opinions that matters".

Will they make donkeys fly?

Opinions matter just when they are enforced. They are not like facts.

BTW does anyone remember what the Gay Pride celebrate?
Or do you believe you live in a perfect democratic system?
Do you remember how you got the Crow laws?

If you sincerely would like to save more statues it'd be better you
change the laws rather than enforce them.

Oh and authority defying laws is way way different than people defying laws.

And if putting down statues makes some racist cry it may be sub-optimal
but it can't be that bad.

And please no... Colombo (or whoever else) is a symbol, these things has
happened in the past as well. Patronizing discriminated people on
history today is as smart as wishing you could enforce your wishes on
statues.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net