[conspire] Federales in Portland?

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Jul 22 12:39:31 PDT 2020

> The city of Portland took the required law enforcement action.  This
> other bullshit is not about law enforcement at all,  In fact,
> _it isn't law_.

The city of Portland is not to be trusted.

> This is yet more lawlessness from the incompetent, senile crimelord.
>

> The dishonest _National Review_

No but the Atlantic is honest and a centerlist rag...

And the BBC is also lieing about the violence.

Despite your rush to judge, I will wait to see how this plays out in the
courts.

> (but I repeat myself) article you cite
> said 'If mayors do nothing to stop anarchists from tearing down Federal
> monuments or from defacing, vandalizing, and attempting to burn down
> Federal buildings, the Feds have every right to dispatch teams of agents
> to restore order.'  Well, first of all, Portland didn't 'do nothing'.
>
> Second, there wouldn't be as big a problem if the unmarked squads of
> Federal goons _were_ limiting their action to protecting Federal
> property and Federal interests -- although here in America it's very
> much not OK to have armed goons without insignia or badges driving
> around in unmarked cars and grabbing citizens off the street and holding
> them without probable cause and against the law.
>
> The _real_ problem is that this deployment is a massive Constitutional
> violation.

In your opinion.

> It's completely legitimate for the President to deploy Federal forces to
> protect Federal property and enforce Federal law.  Anyone who knows US
> history can count off many legitimate examples, e.g.:
>
> o  Obama sent US Marshals and FBI agents to confront Cliven Bundy
>    in 2014 when he attempted to steal by force a large amount of
>    land from the US government.
>    https://www.vox.com/2014/8/14/18080508/nevada-rancher-cliven-bundy-explained
>
> o  Eisenhower sent the 101st Airborne to Little Rock, AR to enforce
>    Federal law after that state defied the authority of the US Supreme
>    Court.
>
> o  Lincoln sent Federal troops to suppress the secession of the
>    Confederate states based on the argument that he must enforce Federal
>    law and protect Federal property, starting with Fort Sumter.

Shays rebellion...

> The limits of such Federal property and interests are nakedly clear:  It's
> 18 specific powers, listed in Article I, Section 8 of the Constitution.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_One_of_the_United_States_Constitution#Section_8:_Powers_of_Congress
>
> And that's _it_.  If there's a USA problem not covered by those 18,
> then the Feds have no authority concerning it.  That's the law, bucko.

I am a short fingered bunko to you pally..