[conspire] Schools WTFery

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Mon Jul 20 07:49:47 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 05:24:27AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> While I'm at it, and while I'm still failing to get to sleep, someone
> please let me know if there's anything I'm missing in the following:
>
> 1.  The short-fingered vulgarian has repeatedly tweeted that the USA's
> public schools 'must' reopen for in-person instruction in the fall.
> He has threatened to withhold Federal funding for schools that do not
> comply.
>
> 2.  Said short-fingered vulgarian is currently top officer and public
> servant (**choke**) of the Federal Executive Branch, and
> commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces.  His legal authority extends to
> some control of spending, but by law may not override Congress in that
> matter, control of the purse string being constitutionally vested in the
> latter.
>
> 3.  Public schools are run by local special districts, or in some cases
> towns/cities, that are created under the aegis of states, and derive
> their powers from the states.
>
> 4.  The Tenth Amendment and hundreds of years of caselaw stress that the
> Feds' authority is limited to Federal matters, and that the states (and
> subdivisions thereof) are in no way subordinate.  Control of spending
> must by caselaw be on a rational basis and cannot be simply redirected
> at the whim of some nutcase in the Oval Office.
>
> 5.  Accordingly, the short-fingered vulgarian has exactly the authority
> to order the nation's public schools around that he has to order me to
> make him a sandwich, because I don't work for him any more than the
> public schools do, i.e., no authority at all.  And his little dog Betsy
> DeVos, too.
>
> 6.  This sort of Kabuki play, while obviously doomed to not work, might
> have the effect of sucking up to suburban parents strained by
> home-schooling and child care, which matters to the Toddler-in-Chief
> because he still thinks white suburban women are one of his core
> constituencies and wants to pretend to be their hero.  (This is similar
> to why he pushed to set aside coronavirus regulations for churches.)
> The Toddler evidently hasn't yet gotten the memo (not that he reads
> anything) that 70% of parents view it as too risky for schools to reopen
> in the fall -- including 53% of Republicans
> (https://www.axios.com/axios-ipsos-coronavirus-index-poll-parents-schools-risk-ccf95453-9f99-4e3a-a4cc-eb0188bf6da3.html).
> Like, maybe they object to little Biff and Buffy bringing home an
> infectious viral load, killing Grandma, and ruining the health of many
> family members and friends, plus possibly themselves.  Or hey, maybe
> they're dead wrong, but the point is that that's the prevailing view
> among parents.
>
> Anything I'm missing?

Quite a bit, starting with getting more sleep.

As for taking the most advanced and precious form of troll bait, I might
bite if it was writen with less vitriol.

https://www.gse.harvard.edu/news/ed/17/08/when-it-comes-education-federal-government-charge-um-what

https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/fed/role.html

As for if it is in the best interest of the public for schools to open,
that is a key issue.