[conspire] Update for BALE

tom r lopes tomrlopes at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 14:46:29 PST 2020

Yes, the Berkeley Pi Meeting is an ongoing thing.

First Sunday of the month at Cafe Blue Door, 2244 Bancroft Ave Berkeley 11
am to 2 pm.

I usually post the notice on the BerkeleyLUG mailing list early in the week
of the next meeting.  Sometimes we will have a meeting off schedule and
those I have called "One Off Pi Day"  For example March 14th 3.14 ( aka the
number Π) is a Saturday and there will likely be an event then.  (Which is
close to the birth of the Raspberry Pi and the Arduino - Raspberry Pi Jam
is on Feb 29 and Arduino day is March 21)

It is a non structured meeting.  Not exclusive to the Pi computer, we like
to do things in the Linux, Maker vein.  But we are in a shared public
space, so that places limits.

I try to suggest a theme or challenge each meeting.  So next one on Feb 2,
i think it will be "build your own router"   Like:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/01/numbers-dont-lie-its-time-to-build-your-own-router/

or wireless router:

https://medium.com/@renaudcerrato/how-to-build-your-own-wireless-router-from-scratch-c06fa7199d95

So I will be bringing along a Chromebox (
https://www.asus.com/Chrome-Devices/Chromebox/ProductPrint/) which is like
a NUC that runs ChromeOS and try to make it into a router.

Chrome devices have a Google modified Coreboot firmware and can be flashed
to a more standard Coreboot (mrchromebox.tech) which can then boot Linux.

One problem is the Asus chromebox has only one ethernet port.  At BaLUG
Rick pointed out you can do routing on the single port, but i would like to
have a second interface.  One thought is to attach a USB 3.0 ethernet (for
the WAN side).  Or attach an ethernet card to the mini pcie (yes they do
exist) which means you would lose the wireless card.
If you have M.2 with pcie lanes maybe you could get a card to work there.

Well there it is.  I'll ask Michael if he could include it in the
BerkeleyLUG events.

Let me know if you have questions, Thomas