[conspire] Two IoT Things, One Alarming

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Thu Jan 23 08:41:45 PST 2020

begin Rick Moen quotation of Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 11:29:10PM -0800:

> My guess is that they're anticipating situations where enthusiasts have
> figured out how to root old Sonos gear and give it abilities Sonos
> promises to its business partners won't ever be present.  In that
> contingency, barring those from any news-gear Sonos 'system' is a way to
> prevents access to the latter's audio content without updated DRM
> handcuffing.

Now I'm wondering if the speaker driver(s) and
amplifier are good enough to justify opening up an old
Sonos speaker and converting it to a basic computer
speaker with just an "aux in" port.

(digression: imho the funny thing about the audio
market today is how much really good-sounding,
affordable equipment there is, if you're willing
to peek out of the mass market and try the products
offered to the small recording studio market.

example: https://jblpro.com/en-US/product_families/3-series-mkii-products

A pair of studio "monitor" speakers
plus a decent USB audio interface (
https://www.schiit.com/products/fulla-1 ) and you can
put together a pretty future-proof system that you
can keep using as your chosen software and services
change. That's what I did. About $150 each for the
speakers, about $100 for the USB interface, about the
same price as a single Sonos speaker.)

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>
https://blog.zgp.org/