[conspire] curious behavior of bash completion when there's a character that needs to be escaped e.g. $

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 12:03:44 PST 2020

Hi Deirdre,

I agree, oftentimes I do resort to python3 when dealing with complicated
filenames.

In the bash manual it says that shopt is a bash builtin that allows us to
change additional shell optional behavior. The progcomp option is
apparently
supposed to be set by default (this doesn't seem to be the case on Debian 10
though), and it enables "programmable completion facilities", I'm still
reading about
this fascinating rabbit hole:

https://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Programmable-Completion.html#Programmable-Completion

Still, I recently came across the wonderful benefit of running "detox" on
my files, so now I hardly ever have any complicated filenames, at least
on my home machines. Detox can be run recursively too, it even has a
neat "dry run" option to see how it'll choose to rename the files.

For example, to see how it'll recursively rename the files under /full/path
I use it like this:

detox -r --dry-run /full/path

Cheers,
Peter.