[conspire] Interesting recruiting develoipment

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon Jan 13 14:24:47 PST 2020

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020, at 2:16 PM, Texx wrote:
> For a number of years, recruiters have asked for month and day of birth and
> last 4 or 5 digits of SS#.
> Im not too worried about the end cl;ient knowing this but some recruiter in a Bombay cellar
> could make a tidy sum selling this info for identity theft.
>
> Taking Ricks advice, I now use a fictitious DoB and have adopted a different 4 digits.
>
> In the last month, they are now asking for a copy of drivers licence instead.
> I recall that drivers licenses are public record.
>
> Any thoughts on the security implications of this?

Hmm, off the top of my head:

1. Selling the photos off the licenses.
2. Selling the license numbers.
3. You can see race (so EEOC violations possible).
4. If someone doesn't have a driver's license but an identity card, then there are possible ADA issues.

IMHO, a bigger HR nightmare (as well as possible security nightmare) than the prior questions. Especially for those of us who never present our driver's license on job applications (I use my passport).

Deirdre