[conspire] Wondering if Debian has any emulator for Android applications?

Peter Knaggs peter.knaggs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 13 14:00:36 PST 2020

Hi Leo,

Thanks for sending that link (
https://mashtips.com/use-whatsapp-without-sim-phone-number), it had the
idea of using the google voice number to activate WhatsApp, I tried it out
using Android Studio as you suggested and it does work (at least for SMS
text chatting, it didn't seem to be able to initiate a phone call).

The steps I used to get Android Studio installed on Debian 10 are pasted
below, it was quite a long download.

Cheers,
Peter.

sudo apt-get install openjdk-11-jdk
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install libstdc++6:i386 libgcc1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libncurses5:i386
sudo apt -y install qemu-kvm libvirt-daemon  bridge-utils virtinst
libvirt-daemon-system
sudo modprobe vhost_net
sudo apt -y install virt-top libguestfs-tools libosinfo-bin  qemu-system
virt-manager
sudo apt -y install cpu-checker
/usr/sbin/kvm-ok

Downloaded this file: android-studio-ide-191.6010548-linux.tar.gz
from https://developer.android.com/studio (739MB !)

tar zxvf ~Downloads/android-studio-ide-191.6010548-linux.tar.gz

cat ~/android-studio/Install-Linux-tar.txt

  cd ~/android-studio && ./studio.sh

Choose "Start a new Android Studio Project"

Click on the icon that looks like a vertical rectangular cellphone with
a green alien below in front of it: the tooltip is "AVD Manager". Set it up
like this:
  Create Virtual Device
  Pixel2
  Click on Q (it downloads about 1GB more!)

Then launch the emulator by clicking in the "AVD Manager" on the "play"
button (triangle),
which brings up a virtual smartphone. Don't switch between virtual desktops
when using
the emulator, as it seems to mess up the mouse input (I get this strange
line with two
circles connected to it, but input is no longer working). You can then
install Android
applications as usual from the Google Play store, in particular WhatsApp
can be
installed. It'll ask for a phone number, and you can give it your google
voice number,
and it'll send an authorization code to your gmail account which you can
then enter
to activate the WhatsApp software. Pretty convoluted, it's surprising they
don't offer
any simple web interface for those who don't want to use a smartphone.