[conspire] Election Day is now (was: Rick's Election Analyses and Recommendations page done (and elections in mirror are closer than they appear))

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Mon Feb 24 21:53:50 PST 2020

 Speaking of security.  There is a potentially big security risk with vote by mail.

How do we know (hypothetically speaking) that Rick did not some how coerce the rest of the household to vote a particular way?  Or just let him mark their ballots?  Or maybe some thug in the neighborhood convinced lots of people to vote as he said?
When people vote in person, it is impossible to know how a ballot was marked.  Ok, Deidre can probably figure out how Rick voted.

    On Monday, February 24, 2020, 8:23:44 PM PST, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 I wrote:

> Eek, the California primary is _not_ going to be in far-off June, this
> time, but rather has been moved up to Super Tuesday, March 3rd, 2020.
> Despite state culture, this is a clarion call to be _less_ laid back
> for a change.

One brief follow-up:  Although technically Election Day will be March
3rd for Californians, that's a bit misleading.

California has, after successful limited trials, now gone 100%
(so-called) 'vote by mail'.  If you're a US citizen registered to vote
in this state, you should have already received a full voting kit
including an official ballot.  If you haven't, _contact your county
voting office, ASAP_.

You can of course simply mail in that ballot (postage prepaid).  Or you
can drop it off in-person at 'voting centers' that are now ramping up --
details were provided to you.  Or, if you're a cynical, distrusting
network-security guy like me whose frequent reading material includes
RISKS Digest, Schneier's security blog, etc., you can do as I did today:

Today, having other business already in our county seat (Redwood City),
I hand-delivered my ballot (and Deirdre's and Cheryl's on their behalf)
and personally dropped it into a ballot box inside the San Mateo County
elections office.  Because, then, far fewer things can go wrong.

Point is, you absolutely do -=not=- need to wait for Election Day, and
personally I'd carefully avoid doing so.  You can vote -- today, or at
your earliest convenience.

(And, don't forget, if your aren't registered, it's nonetheless _not too
late_:  You can 'conditionally' register and vote:  Talk to your county
elections office, and then Robert's your father's brother ('Bob's your
uncle').