[conspire] Election Day is now (was: Rick's Election Analyses and Recommendations page done (and elections in mirror are closer than they appear))

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Feb 24 20:23:05 PST 2020

I wrote:

> Eek, the California primary is _not_ going to be in far-off June, this
> time, but rather has been moved up to Super Tuesday, March 3rd, 2020.
> Despite state culture, this is a clarion call to be _less_ laid back
> for a change.

One brief follow-up:  Although technically Election Day will be March
3rd for Californians, that's a bit misleading.

California has, after successful limited trials, now gone 100%
(so-called) 'vote by mail'.  If you're a US citizen registered to vote
in this state, you should have already received a full voting kit
including an official ballot.  If you haven't, _contact your county
voting office, ASAP_.

You can of course simply mail in that ballot (postage prepaid).  Or you
can drop it off in-person at 'voting centers' that are now ramping up --
details were provided to you.  Or, if you're a cynical, distrusting
network-security guy like me whose frequent reading material includes
RISKS Digest, Schneier's security blog, etc., you can do as I did today:

Today, having other business already in our county seat (Redwood City),
I hand-delivered my ballot (and Deirdre's and Cheryl's on their behalf)
and personally dropped it into a ballot box inside the San Mateo County
elections office.  Because, then, far fewer things can go wrong.

Point is, you absolutely do -=not=- need to wait for Election Day, and
personally I'd carefully avoid doing so.  You can vote -- today, or at
your earliest convenience.

(And, don't forget, if your aren't registered, it's nonetheless _not too
late_:  You can 'conditionally' register and vote:  Talk to your county
elections office, and then Robert's your father's brother ('Bob's your
uncle').