[conspire] Getting a programming job in 2020

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Fri Feb 14 17:49:08 PST 2020

 There is definitely a generational change in the tech work force.  Those of us who entered Silicon Valley long ago were  fortunate that many companies were looking for trained workers.  In my case, I thought it was fun to mess around with Amateur Radio and related stuff.  When I graduated from college, I was fortunate to get a job offer from HP.   That was then.

NOW, tech education is being promoted in many ways even at grade schools.  STEM programs, STEAM programs, Maker movement, etc.  As Diedre pointed out there are now a lot of CS grads who have dreams of making it rich, but will find that the job market is no longer growing without limits.  Hiring has become much more competitive.

For someone currently looking for a software position, the questions are

   - What languages and applications are currently in demand?  dice.com has a number of articles about languages and wages and who is hiring.

   - Which of those languages / applications do you know and can put on your resume?
Look for inexpensive classes in the language you think will be most helpful.  Khan Academy has amazing stuff for free.  There are others that are not expensive.  Complete some of the classes, list them on your resume and be ready to demonstrate your skills to a hiring company.

Using the CSIX.org mailing list can potentially put you in touch with someone at your target company and then get an inside idea of the hiring process.
One company screens potential applicants by sending a "challenge" software problem.  You are given a limited time to send in your solution.  Someone I know was potentially a good fit, but he blew his chance.  He didn't see the email until 2 days later.  Then he discovered that he didn't have a compiler installed on his computer.  The clock ran out before he got started.