[conspire] Getting a programming job in 2020

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Feb 14 11:27:31 PST 2020

If others have useful input specific to the field generally (as well as the bay area in particular), I'm all ears.

The sad state for developers with significant experience who haven't been doing it for a while professionally (e.g., me):

1. There are more CS grads than ever before.
2. They are better prepared than ever before.
3. They are prepared on skills that didn't exist when we entered the workforce.

Your resume needs to really communicate that you're as prepared and dedicated to doing the job as they are.

Please tune *every* resume if possible. Why? The volume of resumes has dramatically increased over the years, and so essentially it's a search engine optimization type of problem. Alas. https://www.jobscan.co <https://www.jobscan.co/> has helped me get interviews. (I will note they don't help for Apple's applicant tracking system, which is internally written.)

I recommend grinding on Hacker Rank or Leetcode if you haven't. IMHO, they're not important (or even particularly interesting) problems for the most part, but they do help flex the brain muscles and keep the algorithm knowledge swapped in.

https://www.hackerrank.com/ <https://www.hackerrank.com/>
https://leetcode.com <https://leetcode.com/>

Interview Cake has the most interesting questions, but the least breadth of languages to work in afaik:

https://www.interviewcake.com

--
  Deirdre Saoirse Moen
  deirdre at deirdre.net