[conspire] If there were any lingering questions...

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sun Dec 20 20:50:24 PST 2020

> On Dec 20, 2020, at 20:42, Kim Davalos <kdavalos at sonic.net> wrote:
>
> Stay home.
>
> https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/california-hospital-covid-capacity/

When I spoke to my doctor in April or May about *still being sick* from January, she was convinced there was zero chance I was still harboring the virus. The traditional view is that it’s Casper (the friendly ghost) by then, also that coronaviruses don’t survive the human gastrointestinal tract, which is why we experience COVID as more respiratory than not.

Science says I may have been correct.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.03.367391v1 <https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.11.03.367391v1>

"Analysis of intestinal biopsies obtained from asymptomatic individuals 3 months after COVID-19 onset, using immunofluorescence, electron tomography or polymerase chain reaction, revealed persistence of SARS-CoV-2 in the small bowel of 7 out of 14 volunteers.”

THREE MONTHS for half of (admittedly a small sample of) *asymptomatic* patients. Still actively replicating virus, in a place we previously thought coronaviruses couldn’t get to.

So.

Stay home.

Deirdre