[conspire] mailing list, forum and social networks

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Sat Dec 19 16:43:42 PST 2020

On 12/19/20 11:36 PM, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> Ivan brings up a good point.  Most social media gives users endorphins
> from just clicking "like".  No thinking required.
>
> At a real CABAL, there similar expressions when the garlic bread or
> Ross's sous vide is passed around.  Otherwise people are expected to say
> reasonably full sentences that add to the conversation.

Yep, other than endorphins my interest is about ranking and "boosting"
content so that good content get seen by more people.

There should be something in between linking a post on a mailing list
archive from your website or your social network and doing nothing.

I bet social networks and search engines use "likes" as a signal to
boost content.

On mailing list the only thing you can do is reply, and of course
interesting topics may have a lot of follow up. but what if you don't
have anything to add?
There is nothing like a "like" to boost content.

BTW Rick, it may be uncool but it is useful. Sorry for your cat.

> In the email extension of CABAL, I expect most people read most
> messages, time permitting.
>
> On Friday, December 18, 2020, 03:16:46 AM PST, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
> <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:
>

> I used to have my own website where I was used to put things that I need
> and may be needed by others and link to interesting stuff.
>
> I always enjoyed mailing lists way more than forums since they are
> asynchronous and they generally have a public archive.
>
> I've never really used a social network till recently and mostly as a
> social experiment rather than a tool.
>
> Now that I've tried social networks whenever I read an email that has
> quality content, I miss the feature to "like" it, to make it more
> important and let more people read it.
>

> --
> Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
> https://www.webthatworks.it <https://www.webthatworks.it