[conspire] I get mail

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Aug 15 22:42:15 PDT 2020

Naturally, Ubuntu.

Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2020 22:39:48 -0700
From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
To: DW <killian44p at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Amarok for Kubuntu 20.04

Quoting DW (killian44p at gmail.com):

   To: respond-auto at linuxmafia.com

That's me.  Unfortunately for you, I have absolutely nothing to do with
Amorok.  In fact, until I got your mail, I'd never hear of Amorok in my
life.  So, you ask, how did you end up sending me mail when you were
trying to reach the Amorok developers?

I can guess.

You were at the Amorok Web site, https://amarok.kde.org/ , and navigated
to the Support page, https://amarok.kde.org/en/support .  Down at the
bottom is:

  4. E-Mail

  Mailing lists are a way for large groups of people to keep in touch. You
  can subscribe yourself to the Amarok mailing list (english-only). You
  can post a message to all the list members, by sending an email to
  amarok at kde.org. You do not need to be subscribed to post to this list.
  Please do consider going through the archives of the mailing list as
  your question might have been answered before.

  You can also reach the above mailing list by using our contact page.
  Note that your message will be delivered to a public mailing list.
  If you are new to mailing lists or know very little of them, consider
  going through the following introductory articles:

  o  Mailing List Etiquette
  o  How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The underlined article is via a hyperlink to
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html .  The contents are
an essay I (Rick Moen) co-wrote with Eric S. Raymond.  The subject of
the piece is how to effectively pose technical questions so your query
isn't either ignored or difficult to help.

Our essay isn't part of the Amorok KDE project, or any other software or
non-software project.  And the top of the essay starts:

   How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

   Eric Steven Raymond
   Thyrsus Enterprises
   <esr at thyrsus.com>

   Rick Moen
   <respond-auto at linuxmafia.com>

   Copyright © 2001,2006,2014 Eric S. Raymond, Rick Moen

So, you basically followed links to Eric's and my essay, completely
disregarded what it said, and wrote directly to me, one of the essay
co-authors, for personal help with a software project I've never even
heard of.

In short, you really, really, really need to address suggestions about
Amorok to the Amorok people.

Also, it really wouldn't hurt you to skim-read our essay.

Last, as a Linux user myself, I wish you would put a little more effort
into making Linux users look good.  Thanks.

Best,
Rick M.

----- End forwarded message -----