[conspire] US COVID-19 1/2,000

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Mon Aug 10 21:05:12 PDT 2020

Or, another sobering way to look at the US numbers.

1 in 2,000

For every 2,000 US persons alive before the COVID-19 pandemic,
one is dead from COVID-19.

US population: 328.2 million

$ bc -lq
define p (x,y) {
return(e(y*l(x)))
}
328.2*p(10,6)/2000
164099.99999999999999213161
quit
$

US COVID-19 deaths: 163K ... and that's just the official count,
so reality is probably a bit worse.

$ bc -lq
328200000/(1.2*163*1000)
1677.91411042944785276073
quit
$

So ... probably actually closer to about 1 in 1,675.

And that's not even a year's worth, and mortality stats are
typically given in deaths per 100,000/yr.

$ bc -lq
(1/1678)*100000*2
119.18951132300357400000
quit
$

So that's roughly 120 deaths per year per 100,000/yr. - just for COVID-19.

Not to mention we're still finding out the long term impacts to those
that survive ... including children.

Not looking good.

:-(

Could do and be like NZ but No.... <sigh>