[conspire] When to get a covid test, brains, and a weird case, and a cardiology vs. immunology joke

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sun Aug 9 03:44:36 PDT 2020

On Aug 9, 2020, at 3:10 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> Then, please, explain how not limiting replication of a virus can decrease its mutations.

Ruben’s no longer on conspire, but you’re not wrong.

>> He is wrong about that, flatly.  There is only one disease that has ever
>> been wiped out and that was smallpox, which has only human hosts, and it
>> too nearly a century.
>
> SARS, MERS?

SARS has only been rooted out of the human population. There could be a future outbreak of them. SARS-CoV-2 and SARS-CoV also have a lot in common, though I haven’t paid attention to whether or not they’re believed to have a similar origin fairly recently or whether they diverged further back. SARS (10% infection fatality rate) and MERS are far far more deadly, so it’s just as well that COVID is the pandemic form.

MERS, well, that outbreak is still ongoing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Middle_East_respiratory_syndrome_outbreak

Deirdre