[conspire] When to get a covid test, brains, and a weird case, and a cardiology vs. immunology joke

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Fri Aug 7 11:28:24 PDT 2020

On Aug 7, 2020, at 8:54 AM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it> wrote:

> On 8/7/20 2:38 PM, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
>>

>> So you're arguing that the risk of mutation overwhelm the risk of people dying and that later, by magic, once everyone will get infected it will disappear and furthermore that we will have a vaccine that works regardless of mutations JIT.
>
> I forgot to say: no spread, no mutations (first order).
>
> The virus can't mutate without replicating. It's not a matter of time mostly but of number of bad copies out of all the copies made.

Coronaviruses are not HIV. (Which is known for its WTAF number of mutations.)

They are not even the common cold (*some* colds are coronaviruses but most are not) or flu. One unique feature of coronaviruses is that they are large enough to have an error correction protein:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/03/science/coronavirus-genome-bad-news-wrapped-in-protein.html

So that limits mutation.

Deirdre