[conspire] Let's look at fluview

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Mon Apr 27 16:09:23 PDT 2020

1. CDC separates flu and pneumonia deaths by week and year. Knock yourself out, but note the ginormous spike for week 15 (last week of full data), ending April 11, and how different that is from prior flu seasons, even the really bad one two years ago.

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/fluview/mortality.html

14.5% deaths from P&I that week, 13.8% from pneumonia (most from COVID-19).

For NYC alone, 29.8% deaths from P&I and 1473 of 5889, so 25.0% from pneumonia (most from COVID-19).

2. Financial Times did a truly awesome visualization of underreported deaths globally just to make the point that this IS a pandemic and we really fucking need to take this fucking seriously.

A lot of jurisdictions worldwide are only reporting hospital deaths because those are what are “confirmed.” So this looks at excess mortality over historical seasonal norms.

https://www.ft.com/content/6bd88b7d-3386-4543-b2e9-0d5c6fac846c

(free to read unlike a lot of ft articles)

3. We have already lost a Dodger Stadium on opening day full of Americans in two fucking months.

4. Comic relief, because we need it and you earned it after getting to this point.

https://www.theonion.com/cern-researchers-apologize-for-destruction-of-5-paralle-1819579830

Cern’s response in a tweet is priceless: https://twitter.com/CERN/status/1254630282659008513

Deirdre