[conspire] Numbers racket

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Fri Apr 24 14:09:47 PDT 2020

 Give Nextdoor an attaboy for not letting certain conversations go to extreme.
Also give them a points deduction for doing what they did in such a silent manner.  Kinda spooky.  Or maybe ND has seen essentially the same trolling in numerous neighborhoods.

Now if Mark Z and company would accept some responsibility for allowing agents to pay to post false information, but I digress.
I'm still working on my Top Ten List of why I refuse to FB.
Even when he was actively posting, I felt a bit sorry for our Brooklyn representative.  Rick and I can spend many hours on yardwork.  If we want to venture further, just cover our faces and we can walk down the street and with no problem keeping distance from anyone else who might be out.  I suspect most, if not all, of the Bay Area people on this list also can go for a walk on uncrowded streets.  Not so in NYC.

For me, the choice is simple.  Better to be broke and hungry than dead or loved ones dead.  What we are experiencing is nothing compared with what our parents and grandparents suffered with bombs exploding out of the sky.  Or just the possibility of that happening.

 I am also favorably impressed at all of the work-arounds like food pantries and Gov Newsom talking to banks to hold off on evictions.  Did B of A fall in line after he used his bully pulpit to call them out? Maybe the missing piece is temporary foregiveness of rent payments by businesses that are shuttered.

Where do we get tickets for the parade?

    On Friday, April 24, 2020, 12:30:59 AM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> You can re-post the following to your seemingly invulnerable
> neighbor.  Meanwhile, soon I will be posting my data of the curve.
> BTW, any word from Reuben?  He can be annoying at times, but I hope he
> is still alive and will be back on the list at some time.

Ruben is fine, and I chat with him occasionally over telephone.  Given
that he's in Brooklyn, he has to contend with a degree of stress and
isolation/claustrophobia that we can only imagine here in suburban
Silicon Valley.  (He's a good guy, and I think well of him always.)

I didn't circle back to my correspondent on NextDoor, partly because I
really didn't want to do the "debate" he explicitly was seeking, but
mostly because obviously TPTB at NextDoor disliked that entire suthread
enough that it got silently and completely nuked, without any comment to
the several participants.

For the record, I don't think he believes himself invulnerable.  He
holds a sincere (and unfounded) set of tenets about the nature of the
disease threat, public statistics, and related matters that apparently
lead him to public policy recommendatiions -- some on public health
matters, others not.

As with other commenters, he's not in any way wrong about the harmful
effect on many aspects of life from shutdown of commerce and industry.
As a friend of mine (Beth) puts it, the economics issue puts society in
a damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't situation, and I'm far from
claiming that easy answers exist.

[...]

> Starting with "wash your hands and don't sneeze"  locally the rate of
> new cases has slowed.  Now appears to be taking more than 2 weeks to
> double the number of cases.  The medical people are still very busy,
> but they are no longer bracing for a tsunami to hit.  Meanwhile NYC
> did not put the orders in place as soon.  Most boroughs of NYC have
> more cases and more deaths than all of CA.  Thank you Gavin.

I agree, FWIW -- but the biggest ticker-tape parade, when we can have
one again, is owed to the six Bay Area county health officers for the
March 16th shelter-in-place order.  That was both gutsy at the time, and
(as proved later) crucially timed to save many lives.  It was _the_
reason why the Bay Area has done better than anywhere else in the USA,
and continues to cope better than elsewhere.

It was also their leadership that gave cover (and a detailed model) to
Gov. Newsom for his similar statewide decision four days later.

The guests of honour at the future ticker-tape parade (the signatories
of the March 16th order):

Dr. Erica Pan, Alameda County
Dr. Chris Farnitano, Contra Costa County
Dr. Lisa Santora, Marin County
Dr. Tomás J. Aragón, San Francisco County
Dr. Scott Morrow, San Mateo County
Dr. Sara H. Cody, Santa Clara County
Dr. Lisa B. Hernandez, City of Berkeley

Dr. Cody has been particularly impressive.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/29/she-shut-down-the-bay-area-to-slow-the-deadly-coronavirus-none-of-us-really-believed-we-would-do-it/