[conspire] Password permutations (was: Correction)

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 18:20:25 PDT 2020

I didnt mean to infer that you were to be someones servant.

You give the appearance of enjoying the spotlight, and being brighter than
most,  you might as well don the professrial robe.
You are fulfilling the mission part of the time anyway.

I do believe that brighter people DO have a moral duty in return for their
gift of higher IQ.

Actually, you explained the math behind the passwd question quite well,
factual and to the point.
You actually did a better job than I can remember anyone doing.
Some people will lose you in the details, but you got to it and did it.
Ive gotten the explanation from others in the past and they obscured more
than they explained.

I can remember a number of times catching informal lectures from either
here or in your kitchen.
You really are pretty good at the teaching thing and its a waste for you
not to do more.
You give the appearance of enjoying it.

OK the systemd was more of an angry rant, but you have been downright
educational many times.

I just wish several of my math teachers had been able to explain stuff
without leaving me behind in the dust.
I might actually have gotten my engineering degree back in the 70s.

As it turns out, after flunking Trig & Logs 3 times in college, I finally
picked them up in 2010 from a Wikipedia article of all things!
That last line is a major portion of my often flogged point about how few
math teachers actuually know what they are talking about.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 2:35 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):
>
> > Didnt mean to imply that people had to do the math, but explanation of
> how
> > it works it a wise thing to do.
>
> Um, telling people '26 letters twice in a row have 26 ^ 2 permutations'
> isn't explaining how passwords work -- and is also self-evident.
> There is nothing to 'explain', really.
>
> > You are fast to remind people when they are wrong, no criticism here,
> > just curiosity, why change now?
>
> Seems to me, it would have been both pointless and a bit of a jerk move.
>
> Pretty much anyone who plays around with permutations will see that
> the number of letters is the exponent, and writing to Conspire to
> merely advise Paul Zander that he'd accidentally inverted order
> would have been rubbing his nose in that without any particular gain
> (given that anyone who works the problem sees the order of elements).
>

> > You are right that Conspire doesnt HAVE to, but it would be a good idea
> > anyway.
>
> I'm not paid to be someone's servant, here.
>
> Maybe I cannot sing and dance _quite_ as well as Gene Kelly could, but
> at least I have a good grasp on how to have a good and worthwile time
> on a mailing list, and being a free-of-charge educational resource for
> others just isn't in it.  (I speak for myself:  Other subscribers
> are of course free to run Texx University if they lack other hobbies.)
>

> > I actually hadnt noticed.
> > Id been too busy to notice the suspension till it passed.
>
> That's actually slightly unfortunate, since the aim of putting you
> on moderated status for misbehaviour was to get your attention.
> If you're saying I _didn't_ succeed in getting your attention, then
> you may be insisting on learning the hard way, i.e., a listadmin
> has a graded series of attention-getting tools at his/her disposal.
>
> At a certain point in that process, I simplify, to reduce my hassle
> and get the problem by degrees off my agenda (because, see 'I am not
> paid to be someone's servant, here').
>
> If I may say so, there's an Open Source 101 common error that might be
> occuring here:  valuing someone's time and effort at cost if it appears
> to be given away for free.  Oddly enough, we of the open source
> community are pretty good at spotting that syndrome and cutting it off.

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."