[conspire] Password permutations (was: Correction)

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 12:01:23 PDT 2020

That was one place you SHOULD correct people because password
misunderstanding is a danger to the ENTIRE community.

That point really SHOULD come up at least once a year just to make sure
everyone remembers.
Conspire SHOULD be an educational resource.

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 9:59 PM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Texx (texxgadget at gmail.com):
>
> > Re Ricks not explaining how he does his passwords:
> > Indeed you should NOT tell us how you do it.
>
> You betcha.  I could suggest various way to do passwords, but IMO
> people ought to work out what best suits them and their needs.
>

> > On the third day, I forgot my password to the password manager.
>
> Yeah, ouch.
>
> Some things are so vital to not lose that they are best entrusted to
> someone (a well-selected someone) in a sealed envelope that is to be
> opened only in particular specified situations.
>
> > Regarding Ricks & Pauls posts, I see a conflict.
> > Is it number of pitibilities per digit to the power of the number of
> digits?
> > Or is it number of digits to the power of the number of possibilities per
> > digit?
>
> I wasn't going to be a jerk and correct Paul's transposition of those
> things.
>
> Consider a password consisting of two lower-case letters from the
> regular 26-letter Latin alphabet used for English.  (I'm being pedantic
> on that point in part because I'm Norwegian-American.  The Norwegian and
> Danish alphabets share a 29-letter alphabet that's like English's except
> for three additional letters at the end.)
>
> The first letter can be one of 26 choices.  The second letter can be one
> of 26 choices.  The total number of password permutations is thus 26 ^ 2.
>
> If there were _eight_ character slots in the password, and each could be
> one of the 26 letters of the English-flavour Latin alphabet, then the
> number of possible password permutations would be 26 ^ 8.
>
> Und so weiter....

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."