[conspire] Beat the heat: Come to CABAL

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Sep 15 23:20:44 PDT 2019

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  Could you describe your route?  Do you take Junipero Sierra, aka
>  Alameda de las Pulgas?  or the part of Sand Hill previously called
>  Willow Road?  That is to say are you traveling away from the El
>  Camino or parallel?

The most recent time I noticed this, I'd been going north from Santa
Clara County on I-280 (with a window halfway down so as to not waste fuel
on air conditioning), and exited eastbound onto Alpine Road.  Right
around there, the temp lifted dramatically and remained distinctly
milder all the way home.

Some times, I've seen similar things on the Junipero Serra approach you
mentioned, sometimes on the El Camino Real or Central Expressway / Alma
approach, and sometimes on Middlefield Road.  It's not always
consistently in the same places exactly, as you would expect.

I don't recall noticing the effect on any route perpendicular to the Bay
such as Sand Hill Road.

> Have you noticed this at various times of day or maybe only in the
> evening when the sun is low in the sky?

I generally have noticed this in the hot afternoons with the sun up
high; I've certainly not tried to study this consistently.  Heck, I
haven't even tried bringing along a thermometre.