[conspire] Beat the heat: Come to CABAL

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sun Sep 15 22:30:57 PDT 2019

 Could you describe your route?  Do you take Junipero Sierra, aka Alameda de las Pulgas?  or the part of Sand Hill previously called Willow Road?  That is to say are you traveling away from the El Camino or parallel?
Have you noticed this at various times of day or maybe only in the evening when the sun is low in the sky?

    On Saturday, September 14, 2019, 1:13:31 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

 Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

> On average, I think it's hard to find a better climate over the full
> year than the region near Menlo Park and Palo Alto.

It's strange:  On a hot day in Silicon Valley, as I drive or bicycle
towards home, usually at some particular place in either north Palo Alto
or -- even more spookily -- right at the county boundary (like Alpine
Road), I'll notice the temperature suddenly dropping at least several
degrees C and stay that way all the way home.  It's a heat 'cliff', and
it's interesting to speculate why it exists.  Could be the density of
trees, which is higher around here than most places in the Bay Area.