[conspire] (forw) Re: Something completely different

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 30 23:08:30 PDT 2019

Redirecting back on-list.

----- Forwarded message from Leo P <yaconsult at gmail.com> -----

Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 20:44:32 -0700
From: Leo P <yaconsult at gmail.com>
To: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
Subject: Re: [conspire] Something completely different

This topic is literally near and dear to my heart and so I provide the
related and interesting links below.  Discussion about access to your own
device data and implanted device security has been taking place for years.
I will also note that defibrillators and pacemakers have to be replaced
with the newest model at least every 5-7 years, if not sooner, due to their
internal batteries.  There have also been recalls of the leads used to
connect these devices to the heart but in many cases, it is considered
riskier to replace the potentially defective leads than to leave them in
place.

Fighting for the Right to Open his Heart Data: Hugo Campos at TEDxCambridge
2011 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oro19-l5M8k>
Hugo Campos - Stanford Medicine X ePatient: On ICDs and Access to Patient
Device Data <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K35enPVJki4>
Getting Health Data from Inside Your Body
<https://www.technologyreview.com/s/426171/getting-health-data-from-inside-your-body/>
Patient’s demand for his device data leads Medtronic to uncharted territory
<https://medcitynews.com/2012/02/patients-demand-for-access-to-heart-data-leads-medtronic-to-uncharted-territory/>
Patients Crusade For Access To Their Medical Device Data
<https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2012/05/28/153706099/patients-crusade-for-access-to-their-medical-device-data>
Proprietary software puts pacemaker users at risk
<https://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/27/buggy_pacemaker_code/>
How the open source community could save your life
<https://opensource.com/life/10/8/how-open-source-community-could-save-your-life>
Is an open-source pacemaker safer than closed-source?
<https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3959547>
Defective ICD leads: should they stay or go?
<https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/publications/cardiovascular_report/cardiovascular_report_springsummer_2011/defective_icd_leads_should_they_stay_or_go>

----- End forwarded message -----