[conspire] Risks ...

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 13:45:18 PDT 2019

Michaels post reminds me of a pet peeve (Think his name is Irving).

People go to the trouble of setting up certs, but cant be bothered to renew
them when they expire.
To me, this makes certs TOTALLY F*****G USELESS (along with the nit wit who
set them up)

Seems like I run into more expired certs than working ones.
Most of the time I turn cert checking off because theres no point to
checking for certs that are pprobably expired.

On Sat, Mar 23, 2019 at 3:59 PM Michael Paoli <
Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Risks ...
> of an expired Risks Digest certificate:
> $ TZ=GMT0 date -Iseconds
> 2019-03-23T22:52:20+00:00
> $ curl -I https://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/
> curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: certificate has expired
> More details here: https://curl.haxx.se/docs/sslcerts.html
>
> curl performs SSL certificate verification by default, using a "bundle"
>   of Certificate Authority (CA) public keys (CA certs). If the default
>   bundle file isn't adequate, you can specify an alternate file
>   using the --cacert option.
> If this HTTPS server uses a certificate signed by a CA represented in
>   the bundle, the certificate verification probably failed due to a
>   problem with the certificate (it might be expired, or the name might
>   not match the domain name in the URL).
> If you'd like to turn off curl's verification of the certificate, use
>   the -k (or --insecure) option.
> $ TZ=GMT0 nmap -Pn -r -sT -p 443 --script=ssl-cert catless.ncl.ac.uk |
> fgrep -i after
> | Not valid after:  2019-03-22T16:19:56
> $

R "Texx" Woodworth
Sysadmin, E-Postmaster, IT Molewhacker
"Face down, 9 edge 1st, roadkill on the information superdata highway..."