[conspire] Michael Paoli @ CABAL Saturday ... & crimpers (telephone handset, line cord, & Ethernet)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sat Mar 9 15:29:32 PST 2019

> Last I looked, Central Computers
> https://www.centralcomputer.com/
> also has a good stock and variety of boot/hood colors, etc.

Central is terrific -- and one of the perqs of my former residence at
the CoffeeNet building in SOMA was that it was within easy walking distance
of the SF retail location on Howard nr. 4th Street.  But, for those
who've not been there, IMO the Santa Clara Central Computers is
incrementally better than the other four -- particuarlly in having bit
more inventory.  But any of them is better than Fry's Electronics.[1]

Pretty much the main reason Fry's comes up in relation to CABAL is that,
if people discover _after_ they've arrived that they need to shop for
something electronics-ey, Fry's Electronics's Palo Alto location _then _
appeals because it's closer than are Central's Sunnyvale or Santa Clara ones
(and closes later on Saturdays).

> Al Lasher's Electronics
> http://allashers.com/
> has dang near any and every type of electrical connector one might
> want or need, but not as much on boot/hood varieties, and weekends,
> they're only open 'till 2pm on Saturday.

I mourn for the old Zack Electronics[2] store that was at 654 High Street
a block south of University Ave., Palo Alto, but Al Lasher's is almost
as good.

[1] Fry's has a great deal of stuff.  Central has a great deal of stuff
you might actually want.

Fry's Palo Alto location will in the next year or so be lost to
redevelopment, so, if you want to see their Old West kitsch, see it soon.
https://padailypost.com/2017/11/06/city-starts-planning-for-future-of-frys-site/

[2] Company still exists with a Southern California retail location a
few miles east of Pasadena, and does online sales.  So, in a sense, you
can still get your electronic parts and supplies where Jobs and Wozniak
did.
https://www.zackelectronics.com/