[conspire] Technical Interview Performance by Editor/OS/Language - Triplebyte Blog

Texx texxgadget at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 15:15:26 PST 2019

I learned visual (the REAL name for vi) from man vi.
The name vi came from the alias students were setting in their dot files.
Emacs is a better option than Microsoft but could use a better editor.

Fortunately, the Rand editor died.
It used most of the vi commands but I stead of escape to go to command
mode, it used the same letters as vi but in control chars.

It left lots of trash files behind after sessions and if it exited
unexpectedly, the next time that it lit up, it would report that the system
had crashed, which would make my support line ring.

"The system is down"
"No, it's not"
"Oh yes it is, the system says so"

I am not aware of any vi package with Bills original code.
It appears to have been completely rewritten in several versions including
vim and nvi.

I don't know the current bad port tree well, so it might still be there,
but none of Bills code remains in either Deb or RPM trees that I can find.