[conspire] Technical Interview Performance by Editor/OS/Language - Triplebyte Blog

Deirdre Saoirse Moen deirdre at deirdre.net
Sat Mar 9 11:25:25 PST 2019

> On Mar 9, 2019, at 11:18 AM, Michael Paoli <Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
> Dang, they didn't include [n]vi.  But I guess in fairness, there are a
> lot of flavors/variations of vi - and they only covered one, and
> these days, vim is most commonly used/available among them.  Likewise
> they just cover one flavor of emacs, etc.

Yeah, it’d be interesting to see more breakdown. But I had to laugh at how hard Java got ragged on.

"On the other end of the spectrum is Eclipse: it appears that someone using either Vim or Emacs is more than twice as likely to pass our technical interview as an Eclipse user.”

"I was surprised to find one huge outlier here: Eclipse! Oddly enough, it appears that even after we pre-screen Eclipse users for their programming skills, they still get offers from only half as many of the onsite interviews we send them to compared with the rest of our population.”

Also of note:

"Hey, what happened to PHP? As a former PHP developer myself, I found it interesting that it’s now just a small drop in the “other” bucket. As one of the interviewers here, I’ve personally never seen anyone interview in PHP yet (although others have).”

I have interviewed in PHP, just not in at least ten years.

Deirdre