[conspire] no privacy

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Tue Feb 12 15:55:31 PST 2019

On 2/12/19 10:25 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Don Marti (dmarti at zgp.org):
>
>> Yes, Facebook makes "shadow profiles" of people who aren't
>> registered users and have not clicked "OK" to the terms of service.
>> Hella creepy.
>
> I vaguely recall that, _somewhere_, Charles Stross has an argument for
> why everyone ought to create a Faceplant profile solely to put on record
> 'No, you may not datamine and share photograph metadata mentioning my
> name'.

I'm thinking about establishing an account for [relationship redacted]
next time I'm in a European country with a hard-assed privacy commissar,
and can connect it to an address and burner phone there.

> Beyond that, people who willingly deal with Faceplant, Inc.
> after all that's happened -- including the latest revelations, described
> below -- amaze me for values of 'amaze' approximating 'I had no idea
> anyone was _that_ stupid'.  (Google, Inc., is also culpable in the
> below-detailed matter, but only to an order of magnitude lower degree of
> cheekiness and breathtaking overstepping of boundaries.)

Nabisco did a full oven overhaul and recipe change for Oreo cookies when
only a single-digit percentage of US cookie buyers don't eat lard.
Principled refusers can make a surprisingly large impact on markets for
goods and services that are consumed by groups.

Don