[conspire] no privacy

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Mon Feb 11 12:28:04 PST 2019

On 2/11/19 9:24 AM, paulz at ieee.org wrote:
> The other day, I was shopping for clothes.  Firefox w/ no script.
>
> There was a pop-up saying that some website requested sending a message to another site.  Actually those sort of messages have become rather common place.  I usually just click "block always" and get back to what I was trying to do.
>
> This time I read the names of the websites.  Why would I want Facebook to know if I am looking at boxers vs. briefs?

Yes, Facebook makes "shadow profiles" of people who aren't registered
users and have not clicked "OK" to the terms of service.  Hella creepy.

The Firefox UI for dealing with this kind of thing changed.  If you want
what used to be "Tracking Protection" you're going to want to go to
"Content Blocking" and select "Strict."

If you had the old Tracking Protection turned on, it should do the right
thing, but it can't hurt to check.

The "Cookie AutoDelete" extension is a good second line of defense in
case you have to turn off tracking protection to get a site to work.

https://blog.zgp.org/firefox-extensions-list-2018/