[conspire] More about police encounters: Oregon Supreme Court decision

Steve M Bibayoff bibayoff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 16:11:15 PST 2019

Hello,

On Tue, Dec 17, 2019 at 1:11 AM Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> wrote:

> Quoting Steve M Bibayoff (bibayoff at gmail.com):
>
> > Thus quote has been attributed to Archilochus:
> > “We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level
> > of our training.”
> Your use of the word 'attributed' is apt:  Nobody appears to specify a
> source in any ancient text supporting the attribution to Archilochus,
> but the quoted saying is indeed often attributed to him without any such
> detail.

I doubt that there is any way to definitely attribute the quote to
Archilochus, and, on the other hand, I see no reason to doubt Grossman
actually heard this quote from a seal (this quote is usually
attributed to a anonymous seal). But imho, it most likely this did
originate with Archilochus.

All the things lost to history,
Steve