[conspire] More about police encounters: Oregon Supreme Court decision

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Tue Dec 17 01:10:24 PST 2019

Quoting Steve M Bibayoff (bibayoff at gmail.com):

> Thus quote has been attributed to Archilochus:
> “We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level
> of our training.”

Thank you indeed.

When the dust settles with my current server re-hosting, I may need to
see about amending my lexicon.html entry, to say something about that.

I notice that Archilochus was a Greek lyric poet and mercenary soldier
(from the island of Paros in the Cyclades) who lived rather far back in the
mists of time, during the Archaic Period:  Dates cited for him are c.
680 BC – c. 645 BC.

Only a few fragments survive; he's known primarily from quotations of
him by other ancient writers.

Your use of the word 'attributed' is apt:  Nobody appears to specify a
source in any ancient text supporting the attribution to Archilochus,
but the quoted saying is indeed often attributed to him without any such
detail.