[conspire] (forw) [New post] Thinking About the Future of Social Media

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Dec 1 21:46:39 PST 2019

begin Rick Moen quotation of Sun, Dec 01, 2019 at 01:54:13PM -0800:

> I'm just starting to read Ms. Newitz's piece about what's likely to come
> after the likes of Faceplant^W Facebook and Twitter, but take for
> granted it will be thoughtful and well-founded in real data.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/11/30/opinion/social-media-future.html

Good one.  I like the idea of distributing reputation
calculations.

Going the other direction in time, here's a
great series from Prof. Steven M. Bellovin
on the primordial social network, Usenet.
https://www.cs.columbia.edu/%7Esmb/blog/control/tag_index.html

An online forum where you control the reputation
scores and attention that you allocate to other
participants sounds like a forum where it's
permissible and practical to bring your own client.

But bring your own client is...so 90s. All the major
social networks now are ad-supported, which means that
they don't feel they can allow independent clients.

If you make it easy for people to read with a client
they control, the first thing they do is block ads.

If you make it easy for people to post with a client
they control, the first thing they do is send spam.

Is it possible for an ad-supported social network to
allow individuals the kind of control over reputation
and attention that they want?

  https://blog.zgp.org/adversarial-interoperability/

--
Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org>