[conspire] Linux apps on a chromebook, via Debian 9 Stretch Virtual Machine

Tony Godshall togo at of.net
Fri Sep 7 16:24:08 PDT 2018

linux native apps on a chromebook (debian in a virtual machine,
linux apps show up as alt-tab-able apps in chromeOS)

Beta or Dev channel is no longer required for this.  It works on a
Chromebook with 16GB of storage (I tested on C101PA fresh off a
PowerWash after doing it a little more haphazardly on Acer Chromebook
Tab) as long as you haven't let ChromeOS sync a bunch of stuff.  32GB
or more is better (Acer Chromebook Tab is only 1.1lb but you probably
need an external keyboard and a Type-C adapter to do linuxy stuff).  I
recommend OP1 or newer if you are doing ARM chromebook, and they say
for Intel Chromebooks, that Bay Trail are no good.  I have not yet
found a way to use external storage for the VM, which is sad, because
32GB MicroSD with 80MB/sec write speed can be had for $13 delivered.
OP1 aka RK3399 chromebooks have amazing battery life and the two
models I mentioned fit easily in a cargo vest, which means I have no
danger of forgetting and leaving my backpack behind someplace.

Notices of correction or omission are welcome

1. In Chrome, visit chome://flags
2. search for crostini
3. Experimental Crostini should appear.  If it doesn't you can't
proceed.  See the list of supported chromebooks.
4. Change Default to Enabled
5. RESTART NOW should appear, bottom right.  Click it to restart your system
6. hit the SEARCH key (where caps lock would be on a PC) and type
terminal.  Click the Terminal app that appears
7. the "Set up Linux (Beta) on your Chromebook" dialog should appear.
Click Install
8. Wait some time for Installing Linux to complete.  "Downloading the
virtual machine" is grabbing a minimal Debian Stretch VM from google's
cloud servers
9. You have a terminal.  Wayland programs interface with Chrome's Aura
window manager, and X11 programs are routed through an X11 translation
layer (xwm -> sommelier)
    $ cat /etc/issue
shows it to be Debian 9.  You can bring your system up to date
   $ sudo apt update
   $ sudo apt upgrade -y
to save space, get rid of locales you don't use
  $ sudo apt install localepurge
these are the tools I need to get to jobsite:
   $ sudo apt install openssh-client sshuttle ssvncviewer xterm rsync
fonts-inconsolata
At this point I couldn't get X11 apps to run and Chromebook was
offering me an update, so I accepted it and it restarted
After reboot, I started Terminal again, and sure enough, this worked:
test that X11 works and that you can multitask
   $ xterm& xterm& xterm&
ssh to a remote desktop allowing X11 app to display here
   $ ssh -X tony at 192.168.99.88
example X11 program, VNC connect to a desktop
   $ ssvnciewer 192.168.99.88 -scale 7/9&

Since I have a 32GB chromebook and a 16GB chromebook, I make my
scripts on the 32GB chromebook, and I'm making a squashfs of them to
mount on the 16GB chromebook.  If you're interested I can update you
on that later.

Best Regards.
This is unedited.
This message came out of me