[conspire] Desktop survey

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Nov 29 13:43:15 PST 2018

> For X11 (well, if you really want more than just text ... sometimes a
> picture or diagram, etc. is useful), all you really need is some
> window manager (WM).  Too many choices?  Ooh, ooh, lots more than for
> just the (bloated!, buggy!, ...) DEs.
> STFW (Search The Fine Web), e.g.:
> site:debian.org window managers
> https://wiki.debian.org/WindowManager
> If you *really* want DE ...
> https://wiki.debian.org/DesktopEnvironment
> And if some of that information/documentation is out-of-date, hey, it's
> a wiki, you can fix that!  :-)

As long as we're providing that sort of link, Matt Chapman's is a
perennial classic:  http://www.xwinman.org/

It's venerable enough that the site actually predates the concept of a
'Desktop Environment', which in a way is why it's calleed XWinMan -- but
Mark has added coverage of (some) DEs to his prior coverage of (some)
window managers.  One notable attraction to the pages there is
user-contributed screenshots, so you know what an asserted-typical setup
looks like.