[conspire] 3rd Master Hard Disk Error

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Sun Nov 18 22:41:39 PST 2018

Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):

>  in /var/log/messages
>
> * `grep -v scsi` returns nothing.
>
> * Several pairs of messages like the following:
>
> messages.1:Nov 11 22:26:15 PZ01 org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[1283]: disc.c:352: error opening file BDMV/index.bdmv
> messages.1:Nov 11 22:26:15 PZ01 org.gtk.vfs.UDisks2VolumeMonitor[1283]: disc.c:352: error opening file BDMV/BACKUP/index.bdmv

Well, that _could_ be a sign of a failing drive, but my offhand
impression is that's really thin in the context of the BIOS raising an
alarm during POST.  It doesn't seem to match.

> Devices are indeed listed as /dev/sda  /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc.
> Sizes are "roughly"100 GB, 200DB and 900 GB, which gives some clue as to how old they are.
>
> I'm thinking that once I get the box open, it might be time to buy a new TB drive,  I had been thinking it was time to reinstall the OS anyway.  If /usr/bin is on a drive with SSD buffer, everything will run much faster.

If during diagnosis you isolate peoblem cause to a specific physical
drive device, don't hasten to throw it away without some further steps.
Specifically, each manufacturer (Samsung, Western Digital, Seagate,
etc.) offers for download diagnostic and repair software that in many
cases can massage an old drive into like-new condition.  Look around and
find (and use) the one for your device.  Example:
https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/