[conspire] how to remove the Microsoft crap -100KB partition

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 9 14:28:57 PST 2018

> Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 12:02:08 +0000 (UTC)
> From: jose tav <j_tav at yahoo.com>
> To: <conspire at linuxmafia.com>
>
> I wish someone can tell me how to remove the Microsoft crap -100KB
> partition in from, that is created every time and as many of those
> as time you make an image of the OS.Don't suggest to use Gparted, it
> does not do the job, all it does show the those 100 KB
> partitions.Couple of years ago, I saw a guy doing it from terminal,
> he managed to remove those partitions but he did not make joined to
> the rest of the drive, so it was waste of resources.Thanks again

Just wipe the partition table and MBR, and for good measure, a bit more.
E.g. boot from install or recovery media,
then, presuming your internal drive is /dev/sda,
typically something like this will more than do it:
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda obs=1048576 count=1
That will wipe partition table and MBR and a bit more, ... but not all the
data on the drive (that would take longer).
In any case, after that, most any installer, etc., will essentially see
"nothing" on the drive - at least see it as unused/"empty"/available,
then one can do a clean install or whatever from that point, and it won't
ask you about any existing partitions on there, etc., as there will be none
for it to see.

Sometimes you might need to check BIOS/CMOS setting first though,
in case, e.g. it "hides" some "protected" area of the disk from
"normal" viewing and/or has it set to read-only/write-protected.