[conspire] How to update packages when Deb is behind?

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Thu Jun 21 22:02:57 PDT 2018

I just looked up more than 20 different apps.   The versions installed, in Stretch and in Buster.  In some cases they are all the same.  In some cases the installed is a little older.

BUT there were a few "more interesting".  For example, GIMP.  The installed version is the same as testing and newer than stable.   The file date on /usr/bin/gimp is March 28.  That might have been the last time I did an `apt-get update`
The real outlier is Firefox.  I  Installed       stable|stretch   testing|buster  45.8               52.8.1             52.8.1
My present guess is that my sources.list file really was doing "testing", but something is amiss with Firefox. I know I have downloaded and added SeaMonkey without using apt-get.
Possible fix:
#apt-get update
#apt-get remove firefox#apt-get install firefox