[conspire] tabs...

Michael Paoli Michael.Paoli at cal.berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 14 23:22:38 PDT 2018

You can convert tabs to spaces with the utility expand(1).

That might not be the most efficient "answer" to what you're
looking for (I am *not* an emacs expert).

Take a look at the man page for expand(1) - there are options
to, for example, specify the tab spacing (tab stop positions),
and also, e.g. if one wants to only convert initial leading tabs,
or all tabs, regardless of position on the line(s).

And yes, still at CABAL presently.  ;-)

You can also easily check if a file contains any tabs or not, e.g.
grep '^I' file >>/dev/null && echo file has tabs
But for ^I above, use a literal tab character ... one will typically need to,
if entering that from the command line, enter control-V control-I.