[conspire] Replacement Computer Was: 3rd Master Hard Disk Error

paulz at ieee.org paulz at ieee.org
Sat Dec 1 12:37:47 PST 2018

 We have to remember that the physics for all hard drives even before there were 8" floppy disks was oxides of iron and similar metals.
The memory hierarchy concept continues.  $100 can buy:
*  16 GB DDR4
*  500GB USB 3.1
*  2TB HDD with 128MB cache SATA

Also, 8GB RAM is "typical" for laptops on the market today.

On the topic of disk drives.  Previously I had reported that the Seagate Disk diagnostic did not run under Windows.  I have since discovered that it requires rebooting the system.  Then it runs all the time in the background.  In contrast the WD disk diagnostic for Windows runs when you invoke it and then quits.  Both tools will recognize SG, WD and Toshiba Drives.  They can read the S.M.A.R.T. information and have a menu for several other tests on a specified drive.

In the near future, I will try the SG bootable USB diagnostic.  If it works, it will go with the recovery drives and data back up in a different room.

A few years ago, I bought 1 TB HDD with 64?GB cache.  After a couple of reboots, the time to boot Linux went from ~30 seconds to under 5 seconds.