[conspire] Scam du jour

Josef Grosch jgrosch at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 09:08:04 PDT 2018

On 08/31/2018 04:38 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> Around 5:40pm local time, the house 'phone rings.  Ring, ring, ring,
> ring... I reach it, and glance at Caller ID.
>
> -------------------
> |MURRAY       UT  |
> |  801-590-3114   |
> -------------------
>
> Rick:  Hi there, Murray You-tee from area code eight-oh-one.  You're on.

[ DELETED - amusing story about idiot scammer trying to match wits with
Rick. Basically, Rick got into a battle of the wits with an unarmed
person. ]

> Last, you do not 'sign for' a jury summons (including a Federal grand jury
> summons).  The summons orders you to show up on a certain date, and
> includes a form you can send back to be excused (serious illness,
> extreme age, on-call physician, in the military, in law enforcement) or
> to request the appearance be rescheduled.  Otherwise, you don't send
> anything back; they just expect you to be there.  (The form will have a
> telephone number to call the day before you're due, to find out if you
> are still needed.)  If you fail to show up for a Federal grand jury,
> indeed the US Marshalls Service will be sent out (by the judge) to find
> you at your residence or place of work, and bring you back to a very
> not-pleased judge why you were a no-show.
>
> And last-last, if I _had_ gotten a Federal grand jury summons, I'd
> certainly have remembered it.

The above is the important part. _ALL_ interactions with federal, state,
and local authorities is going to be done via the US mail. They do not
call, they are required by law to have a paper trail.

If I could have just one wish in this life its for people to get that
one fact into their thick heads.

As for me;

1) I don't answer my land line any more, I use my cell phone. Oh, I look
at the caller ID but as Rick has pointed out, it is now ridiculously
easy to spoof a caller ID.

2) Absolutely everyone I know and give a shit about is listed in my
contacts on my phone. If someone calls and the phone does not pop up
someone in my contacts I let voice mail get it.

3) I have Mr. Number installed on my Android phone. This app does a
lookup of phone numbers in an active database and those numbers that are
listed as scammers it hangs up. The database is updated by users marking
phone numbers as scammers. The Apple version seems to be not so good.

4) Sometimes, when I get bored, I answer the call with some bullshit
like, "Hi, I'd like to order an extra large pizza, a six pack of beer,
and can you also bring condoms?"

Yeah, I'm on my 3rd cup of coffee, can't you tell

Josef

--
Josef Grosch       |  Another day closer  |
jgrosch at gmail.com  |  to Redwood Heaven   |  Berkeley, Ca.