[conspire] Frankensteining a citrus (was: Risks of automation)

Fred Brockman fbrock at att.net
Mon Aug 27 01:17:09 PDT 2018

Here's my experience with fruit trees: Grew up in
Modesto, CA with a small (8 trees) stone fruit
orchard. Parents later had home for 40 years with
citrus (orange, lemon, grapefruit, lime).
Currently live in rural south Florida with
another small orchard of tropical fruit trees
(sapodilla, canistel, carambola, etc.). BS degree
in biology but have always worked in tech. Keep
in mind this enthusiastic advice is given by one with a Y chromosome.

 > From fruit growers email: > > If you can find
a citrus already grafted by a nursery at an
acceptable > price, then buy it.  > > That said,
I am hoping to graft some less common varieties
that a > recommended by home growers.  If all
goes to plan, around the time of > the next
CABAL, I should have some buds of mandarins and
pommelos.  If > you want an "experiment" leave
the newly purchased calamansi in its > pot.  We
can attempt grafting to the established root
stock. If the > graft takes, you can look for a
different spot for the calamansi, > maybe somewhere with more sun?

Sounds like a plan, but see caution below.

 > Yes, I'll be delighted to accept your kind
offer.  If you feel like arriving before 4pm on
Saturday, Sept. 8th, we can sod around doing some
plant-hacking.  (I've never done grafting, so
it'd be more like me as Igor to your Dr. Frankenstein.)

 > To catch up those not present yesterday:  One
of the things we did was walk down and look
closely at the stricken calamansi tree.  Paul
pointed out the existing graft, which (sadly) is
_above_ where the brand-new shoot is.  He says
its common for citrus trees to have a high-up
graft like that (5-6" off the ground), unlike
what's generally the case. _So_, the shoot is
root stock, not calamansi -- and we're back to my
earlier conclusion that the calamansi itself is a
goner.  Paul's advice at the time was to just dig
up the rootstock and start over.  The above
amounts to Paul's 'take 2' thoughts.

Caution: Trees can come back when you don't
expect them. I would give your calamansi at least
a full year of grace to see what happens. If
that's too long start cutting back from the tips
of the tree. If you suddenly go from dead wood to
green wood stop immediately and make a sacrifice
of thanksgiving. You already know to protect that
nice sucker for the time being. It will keep the
rootstock alive and shouldn't discourage the grafted part too much.

 > Cheryl's present opinion is that we should see
what sort of citrus the rootstock would
become.  This would probably take a few
years.  IMO, this would be a poor bet.  We have
absolutely no idea what of innumerable citrus
species this is, and I have low confidence of it turning out to be desirable.

I would say the odds are just about nil of the
fruit of the rootstock being desirable.
Rootstocks are selected for graftability and
disease resistance. Sometimes they are just grown
from seeds leftover after consumption.
Unfortunately most fruit varieties don't
reproduce from seed true to variety or even
consumability. [edit just before sending:
https://homeguides.sfgate.com/grow-calamansi-21727.html
recommends growing calamansi from seed. So your
odds just went up. The rootstock could be
something else but still could be viable fruiting calamansi.]

 > Another is what you say, reusing the robust
rootstock for a bud-grafted scion, taken from
either the calamansi tree currently on sale at
OSH in Redwood City or one of my existing citrus
trees.  So, yay, mandarins and pomelos, then.

So buy a calamansi tree and plant it, let it grow
a year or two, graft some prunings onto the old rootstock?

 > I'm undecided about whether to buy that new
calamansi tree, but I'll do a site survey before deciding.

First thought with you living on the SF peninsula
was yes to moving rootstock to southern exposure.
Second thought was global warming. Noted a tomato
I planted in Modesto last year got through the
winter in decent shape. When I was a kid all
tomatoes were as dead as doornails by
Thanksgiving. It's been a couple of years since
I've seen frost here in FL. If the calamansi has
been happy up to now with its location I'd leave
it there. If you get a freeze forecast toss a
sheet (or 2 or 3 sheets clothes-pinned together)
over it and put some incandescent bulbs under it.
I've entertained neighbors for decades by putting
out the Christmas tree lights out on a freeze
warning (usually after Christmas) through January or so.

Rootstocks, especially established older ones,
are not real crazy about moving. If it gets
decent sun where it's at I'd advise leaving it
there. Save your site survey for your new additional plantings.

Good luck and have fun,
Fred

[Just saw your latest email. It's getting late
here. Will respond try to respond tomorrow.]