[conspire] (forw) [OCLUG] Why Do Keynote Speakers Keep Suggesting That Improving Security Is Possible?

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Aug 23 22:09:42 PDT 2018

Actually, I knew this would be awesome, the moment I saw the name 'James
Mickens'.  Because for five years, he's been legendary for his essay
'The Slow Winter', online here:
https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/mickens/files/theslowwinter.pdf

  [...]
  The point is that flying in airplanes used to be fun, but now
  it resembles a dystopian bin-packing problem in which humans,
  carry-on luggage, and five dollar peanut bags compete for real
  estate while crying children materialize from the ether and make
  obscure demands in unintelligible, Wookie-like languages while
  you fantasize about who you won’t be helping when the oxygen masks
  descend.
  [...]

Been there.  Done that.  (And I believe 'Dystopian Bin-Packing Problem'
is my next garage band.)

Anyhow, yeah, watch da flick^w clip.  He questions some things that were
overdue.  E.g., machine learning!  Yeah, man!  Awesome sauce!  It'll give
everyone flying cars and chrome trousers!  Trust me!

----- Forwarded message from Kyle Terrien <kyleterrien at gmail.com> -----