[conspire] (forw) Re: [DNG] Debian blocks latest Intel microcode update

Ivan Sergio Borgonovo mail at webthatworks.it
Thu Aug 23 04:54:49 PDT 2018

Are they starting to feel a bit of competition from AMD?

Last time I heard from intel they were "promoting" a chip that was able
to run at 5GHz... forgetting to say (actually hiding) it was specially
cooled.

I've heard RISC-V is making progresses as well.

On 08/23/2018 04:33 AM, Rick Moen wrote:
> In case you're wondering what 'microcode' is all about, brief summary:
> o  Microcode comprises very low-level hardware instructions for a CPU.
> o  All real-world CPUs need tweaks to microcode for security and
>     stability reasons, as problems get found.
> o  De-facto, the CPU designer/manufacturer needs to provide those.
> o  It's routine for OSes to bundle up microcode fixes with their bootup
>     routines.
> o  Lack of current microcode updates is a Very Bad Thing.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com> -----
>
> Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 17:40:08 -0700
> From: Rick Moen <rick at linuxmafia.com>
> To: dng at lists.dyne.org
> Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian blocks latest Intel microcode update
>
> Quoting Don Wright (wmail at dslextreme.com):
>
>> El Reg has [1]published a disagreement between a Debian maintainer and Intel
>> over changes to license terms in the latest CPU microcode updates. The added
>> terms (see comments) appear to attach liability to both Debian and mirror
>> sites if the end user violates certain new restrictions regarding
>> benchmarking. Debian has chosen not to play.
>>
>> [1] https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/08/21/intel_cpu_patch_licence/

[snip]

> The passage about benchmarking, which indeed _is_ purportedly applied to
> and required of all licensees, immediately follows:
>
>    3. LICENSE RESTRICTIONS.
>    [...]
>    Unless expressly permitted under the Agreement, You will not, and
>    will not allow any third party to
>    [...]
>    (v) publish or provide any Software benchmark or comparison test results.

[snip]

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
https://www.webthatworks.it https://www.borgonovo.net