[conspire] (forw) Re: [DNG] Debian blocks latest Intel microcode update

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 22 19:33:47 PDT 2018

In case you're wondering what 'microcode' is all about, brief summary:
o  Microcode comprises very low-level hardware instructions for a CPU.
o  All real-world CPUs need tweaks to microcode for security and
   stability reasons, as problems get found.
o  De-facto, the CPU designer/manufacturer needs to provide those.
o  It's routine for OSes to bundle up microcode fixes with their bootup
   routines.
o  Lack of current microcode updates is a Very Bad Thing.