[conspire] suggestions for web based email

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Wed Aug 22 12:06:20 PDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 01:53:36PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Paul Zander (paulz at ieee.org):
>
> > Ruben,
> > So how do you get your Internet connection?
>
> I'll note in passing Ruben's assumption that he gets to decide
> definitively what is 'an affordable option' and what is not.
> _Or_, to interpret the remark the other way, the assumption that
> other people 3000 miles away across the Internet benefit from hearing
> him voice his discontents about relative pricing in Brooklyn, NY.
> Either way, it's not much of a conversation opener.
>
> But I shouldn't be too critical about the latter interpretation because
> I'm about to indulge an at least vaguely similar sort of
> self-indulgence.  Here's what I pay, twice a year, for the next six
> months of Raw Bandwidth Communications aDSL service _including_ a
> 255.255.255.248 aka /29 static IP allocation:
>
> Residential DSL 384K-1.5M/128-384K monthly w/ circuit    $269.70
> 3-bit subnet for routing                                   90.00
> Public access services account paid-in-advance discount   <35.97>
>                                                           ------
> Total                                                    $323.73
>                                                           ======

Yeah, if I used DSL here to do that, I would pay that almost monthly.

something like 235 a month... or more.

I've tried to switch off of cable, buit nothing I can do to my doorstep
would even remotely help.

The point though, is that current law is providing little protection and
so I have little invested in the status quo.