[conspire] Web apps for a new Linux user (was: Risks of automation)

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Aug 17 10:15:39 PDT 2018

Quoting Denny Yang (yangcdenny at gmail.com):

> Hi Rick,
>
> Can't thank you enough for spending the time explaining those applications
> to me.
>
> So it sounds to me that most of them, if not all of them, are Web apps?

Um, I _think_ so.

By the way, you can smarter answers to such questions if you specify
what you're out to achieve.  I was left to guess.  I surmised that you
had thrown out a list of Web applications, and your goal was to learn
how to install and administer a Web server running one or more popular
Web application.  But I was not sure, because you didn't say what this
was all about, except your being new to Linux and wanting to do...
something.

> Would you agree that as an admin, maybe I should try to get familiar
> with one of those Open Source Server and Network Monitoring tools,
> such as Icinga2, Nagios Core, or Centreon (just to name a few). And
> put those Web apps in the back of the head for now?

And this is where I halt and say:  It depends on what this is about.

If you are aspiring to work as a network administrator, then learning a
few of those is a fine idea, though you cannot predict what you'll
actually end up using in an employment context, nor even what will be in
fashion a year or two from now.  But learning the basic principles
couldn't hurt.

> By the way, do you use any of those network monitoring app?

I currently do some network monitoring on one or more of my home
networks, but prefer not to describe specifics.